Thursday, January 14, 2016

Inkling Explorations Link-Up // January 2016


(Note: if you're interested in participating and new to the blog, you can find our link-up explanation/guidelines + more buttons here. :))

This month's selection is: A New Year or 'new beginning' passage in literature


I've highlighted this passage before on my personal blog, but it's such a favorite it immediately won hands down for this month's entry. ;)


“Outside darkness stayed, darkness and snow and ice, as if it would stay forever.

"So no one in Greenwillow was prepared for the morning when it came, not in a slow snowy dawn, but with the sun shouting up over the hills and catching a million mirrors of ice storm, as if the music from a harp had been frozen and splintered and flung from the west and the east and the north and the south. The great trees were sheathed in ice, and so were the tiniest meadow grasses. Branches glittered and cracked under their frozen weight, and small autumn seed-coats turned to diamond stuff.


"The sky was as blue as the first dawn itself, the one that woke Adam, and there was a fresh powdering of snow that had fallen before the ice began to creep. It was next to impossible to look abroad for the dazzle, and the Reverend Birdsong stood on his doorstep and shielded his eyes and felt very near to bursting with God’s wasteful glory and this new Creation. Charity the cat came out beside him, walking very daintily in the cold, looked at the snow, sneezed in protest and withdrew to the warm hearth. Birdsong rubbed his hands together and crowed.” Greenwillow by B.J. Chute


~     ~     ~

Just leave your own link here in a comment and I'll add it to the post. :) As always, entries are open through the end of the month and I can't wait to see your selections!


*How to do it*


1. Post the Inklings button on your sidebar.
2. Do a post on your own blog relating to the month's selection/subject (a literary excerpt as short or as long as you like AND/OR—if specified that month—a screencap from a film with an explanation of how the scene builds/develops the story). Link back here somewhere in your post.
3. Come back here and paste your link in the comments box and I'll add it to the post. Then enjoy visiting and reading everyone else's contributions!

That's all there is to it!


Up next month: A scene involving a disguise in book or film


21 comments:

  1. This looks so fun! Here's my link:

    http://onstoriesandwords.blogspot.com/2016/01/inkling-explorationsjanuary-2016.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meredith,
      Yay! I've added your link and I'm off to read your post... :)

      Delete
  2. Ohhhhhh . . . I just LOVE sunshine on snow and ice. It's one of the best things ever :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jessica,
      YES -- isn't it just breathtaking?!? :D

      Delete
  3. Greenwillow is SO beautiful!!! I loved that excerpt. :) I feel the need to read the book again and record all my favorite passages!
    Hmm....I have an idea for this month's subject....I'm not quite sure if it will work, though. I'll see what I can do. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie,
      It's just packed with sooo many little poetic moments, isn't it? So utterly and incredibly beautiful!! :)

      And oh, I'm most intrigued -- I hope it works as I'd love to see it! ;)

      Delete
    2. It's up! :D
      http://ramblings-of-a-red-head-girl.blogspot.com/2016/01/inklingsa-new-beginning.html

      Delete
    3. Natalie,
      Yay! I put your link up right away and now I'm off to comment ASAP. :)

      Delete
  4. Oooo, sounds fun. ;) I'll have to see what I can come up with...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith P.,
      Yay! Oh, I do hope you can find something! :)

      Delete
  5. Your blog is amazing! I love it!
    Hannah
    The3musketeerssite.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah,
      Ohhh, thank you... I'm so very happy to hear it! (Also, I like your creative blog name and thank you for the link! ;))

      Delete
  6. Ahh! Greenwillow! I just finished that for the first time yesterday, and OH I LOVED IT. It's just...GAHH.

    And I loved that passage, too! Hmm, what to use for mine...it'll probably take me a little while to find one, but I'll be thinking ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia!
      YOU DID?!?!? YAY!! Eeeeeeee, you don't know HOW excited this makes me!!!! :D Also, I'm super curious... how did you first hear about it??

      And I'm very much looking forward to your post, so I do hope you can find something. ;)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I did!!! It was so fantastic! Just...the CHARACTERS! Dorrie and Gideon and Gramma and Micah...*swoops down and hugs them all* As a matter of fact, I do believe I first heard of it through you ;) I can't remember if it was here or on Along the Brandywine, but it stuck in my mind, and then recently I was at a thrift store and a book spine caught my eye, the author's name being B. J. Chute. So I thought, hey, didn't that person write that book Heidi loves? And then I glanced further down the spine, and lo and behold, it was Greenwillow! :D (That was probably an unnecessarily long explanation.)

      I'll definitely try to think of something! :D

      Delete
    3. Olivia!
      *SQUEALS* ;D Eeeee..... seriously, I'm SO happy you loved them all so much!! *happy sigh* It's like introducing a dear friend to your family and having said friend just love them all, too. ;)

      And hee. I'm still utterly and completely tickled about how you found it! :)

      Delete
  7. My post is up here at last! Took me a long time to settle on just what to post, hee :-)

    Greenwillow's still on my list of TBRs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hamlette,
      I'm still just absolutely delighted -- it's so sweet and perfect! :) You made me laugh this morning with your little comment about finding it... I love those surprises!

      And I'm pretty sure you'd really enjoy Greenwillow. :) Does your library have it?

      Delete
    2. No, alas, they don't. So it's on my Amazon wish list for now.

      Delete
  8. Here's mine! :)

    http://meanwhileinrivendell.blogspot.com/2016/01/inkling-explorations-january-2016.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia,
      Lovely!! I actually got your link up right after you left it and I'm hoping to read it and comment super soon. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...